University of New Mexico School of Medicine
The Dental Hygiene program at The University of New Mexico School of Medicine is a five-semester curriculum that starts in the spring semester. Each class of 24 students is selected through the Division of Dental Hygiene's admissions process.
Student selection is based upon grades in the pre-professional courses, state residency, work experience and a personal interview, whenever possible. Out-of-state applications are considered, but New Mexico residents receive preferential consideration. New Mexicans should be prepared to document state residency if requested to do so
- Application to UNM Office of Admissions
- Applicaton through DH CAS
- Official transcripts of all colleges attended (sent to both UNM Admissions and DH CAS).
- Completion of all prerequisite coursework BEFORE the start of the program.
- A non-refundable application fee of $105 must be included with your application, submitted online:https://secure.touchnet.com/C21597_ustores/web/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCTID=2391&SINGLESTORE=true. Applications arriving without the application fee will be incomplete and will not be considered.
- Verification of shadowing/observing a dental hygienist for at least 20 hours.
- Apply for admission to UNM (if not already enrolled). This is a separate admissions process and requires a separate application packet from that of the Division of Dental Hygiene. You must contact the UNM Office of Admissions to obtain the correct information.
- Apply as a Transfer Student: If you are not currently a UNM student, apply to the University of New Mexico at admissions.unm.edu as a Transfer student enrolling Spring semester.
- Complete Paperwork to Transfer to Main Campus: If you are a Branch campus student, please complete the Branch Transition form to move from your Branch campus to main campus in Albuquerque.
- If you are already an undergraduate UNM Student: You do not have to apply to UNM. Move to step 2.
- Complete the ADEA DH CAS Dental Hygiene Application. Complete all portions of the application and submit the online application by the application deadline (Augsut 25, 2023).
- Official transcripts must be sent to ADEA DH CAS.
- Candidates are hereby notified that if any document is missing as of the deadline for application, the division cannot consider that candidate. Candidates are strongly encouraged to begin this process early. Be aware that it takes considerable time for documents such as transcripts to be transferred from one institution to another.
New Mexicans receive preferential consideration. Age, gender, disability, race, religion and/or national origin are not factors in admission considerations.
About transcripts: An overall grade point average of 2.4 or above on a 4.0 scale is required. Applicants without at least a 2.4 GPA will not be considered. A 2.4 GPA does not guarantee acceptance into the program, however.
|Program Type||Entry Level|
|Program Length||2.5 years months|
|Application Deadline||August 26, 2023|
|Program Start Date||January 17, 2023|
|Credit Hours Required to Graduate||128|
|Accepts International Students||No|
|Supports Student Visa||No|
Required Standardized Tests
No standardized tests are required for this program.
- Requires supplemental fee
All prerequisites must be completed BEFORE the start of the program, Spring semester. (Courses in progress in the Fall semester should be listed as In-Progress on the ADEA DH CAS application.)
Letters of Evaluations Instructions
Other Requirement Instructions
At least 20 hours of shadowing are required with a Registered Dental Hygienist. The letter should be on official letterhead, and authored and signed by the Dental Hygienist.
Students earn clinical experience through coursework in the program.