A.T. Still University Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health
Speciality Care Unit of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
A.T. Still University-Missouri School of Dentistry and Oral Health
St. Louis Dental Center
1500 Park Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63146
All interested applicants MUST click here to apply in addition to submitting the ADEA PASS application.
OMFS Internship Job Details Description
A.T. Still University-Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health (ATSU-MOSDOH) seeks candidates interested in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (OMFS) as interns at the St. Louis Dental Center.
This position reports to the Director – SCU of OMFS and Vice Dean of Clinical Operations, ATSU-MOSDOH. The OMFS intern is responsible for performing various types of oral surgical procedures on patients under the supervision of OMFS faculty at ATSU-MOSDOH's St. Louis Dental Center (1500 Park, St. Louis), assuring high-quality oral surgery services to patients of OMFS and its rotating specialties, including urgent dental care, Implant dentistry, and comprehensive dental clinic. This role includes teaching and guiding predoctoral (DMD) with the fundamentals of oral surgery, rotating in SCU of OMFS and expanding their capacity to treat patients with special health care needs and complexities (both in clinic & hospital settings), and preparing for OMFS residency programs by gaining additional clinical, surgical, and medical experience with complex patients. This is a pathway to practice in community clinics, including underserved areas, to provide enhanced surgical dentistry skills.
Major Job Duties
- Surgical consults, diagnosis, treatment planning, and individually performing an array of surgical procedures with direct supervision of OMFS faculty members.
- Surgical workup, treatment alternative critical discussion with faculty and patients, and first assistant with the faculty members of OMFS.
- Interact with dental students in performing outpatient procedures on a daily basis.
- Interact with residents of other specialties (e.g., periodontics, endodontics, orthodontics, implant surgery) for collaborative treatment.
- Interact and assist general dental faculty members' patients during urgent or emergent surgical needs.
- Attend medical emergency situations on the clinic floor as needed.
- Assist and attend all sedation-based OMFS cases.
- Participate in the weekly OMFS evidence-based dentistry presentation by predoctoral students.
- Present elaborate and complex OMFS topics and Journal Club at the OMFS Club.
- Participate at Saint Louis University grand rounds, when needed.
- Participate in advanced skill lab (suturing, manikin-based skill assessment).
- Attend OMFS faculty lecture/presentation series to interns & students (as schedule permits).
- Rotate with external surgical and specialty clinics with Dept of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Otolaryngology, and Anesthesiology in affiliated hospitals and universities.
- Rotate with the internal specialty care unit of oral implantology.
- Prepare and present a poster or oral presentation in a state- or national-level professional meeting.
- Associate with existing research projects in the SCU of OMFS.
- Potential for intermittent on-call and other outreach activities after hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
|Program Type||Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Internship|
|Degrees Offered||Certificate, Internship|
|Program Length||12 months|
|Application Deadline||February 1|
|Program Start Date||July 1|
Required Standardized Tests
- Requires supplemental application
Transcript Evaluation and Instructions
- Official Copies of INBDE or NBDE Parts 1 & 2 must be included during the initial application submission.
- Candidates will be called upon for personal or virtual interviews only if the transcripts are included in complete.
Letters of Evaluation Instructions
- Three letters of recommendation
- One letter from the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (Program director, department chair, or faculty in charge during oral surgery rotation) is mandatory.
- The remaining two letters of recommendation are advisable from the dean of the institution and supervising comprehensive care dental faculty during dental education.
- If a candidate has been in dental practice, it is recommended to acquire a letter of recommendation from a chief dental officer, a similar supervising position, or a professional dental colleague who can attest to the candidate's abilities.
Other Requirement Instructions
It is required to possess an unrestricted Missouri dental license before commencing the program.
International Student Eligibility
Applicants Without U.S. Dental Degrees: Will Not be Considered
Eligible Citizenship Types:
- US Citizen, US Permanent Resident
- US/Canadian Citizen, US/Canadian Permanent Resident
- Non-US Citizen/Resident (no sponsorship)
Selected candidates for the OMFS internship program will be called for an in-person interview to interact with OMFS faculty members and complete a tour of the OMFS Unit and ATSU-MOSDOH's St. Louis Dental Center facility. Candidate selection for interview will be notified via email or telephone and would need to be confirmed prior to the interview date.
- All interested applicants MUST click here to apply in addition to submitting the ADEA PASS application.
- OMFS interns are stipend paid with fringe benefits according to A.T. Still University's benefits policy.