Ascension Macomb-Oakland Hospital
7633 E. Jefferson, Suite 70, Detroit, Michigan, 48214
Ascension Macomb-Oakland Hospital's Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery residency program is a 6 year, dual degree program affiliated with Wayne State University's School of Medicine. The program is based out of its sponsoring instituiton, Ascension Macomb-Oakland Hospital in Warren, Michigan, but maintains 24/7 facial trauma call at multiple Ascension locations in Metro Detroit, Ascension St. John Hospital, Ascension Providence Hospital- Southfield, and Ascension Providence Hospital-Novi.
Here at Ascension, our goal is to help you develop the skills needed to provide high-quality, patient centered care to patients and families. Our training specializes in disorders of the oral cavity, jaws, and head and necck facial structures. This includes extensive etraining in oral-facial trauma, both hard and soft tissue, and outpatient surgical procedures of both a reconstructive and congenital nature are performed. This includes major orthognathic surgery, implants, free flap reconstructive procedures, tempomandibular joint surgery and the treatment of benign and malignant pathology.
Our resident clinic is in a state of the art office building, which offers an office based model educational experience. Our academic program includes weekly dedicated lectures and seminars including weekly Head & Neck Tumor Boards, which supports the oncology cases performed by the residents and fellows rotating with our Head & Neck Oncology, Microvascular & Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship.
|Program Type||Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery|
|Program Length||72 months|
|Application Deadline||October 1|
|Program Start Date||July 1|
Required Standardized Tests
- Requires supplemental application
- Requires supplemental fee
TOEFL Requirement Instructions
Other Requirement Instructions
The prerequisites for application to the program include a separate application to the Wayne State University School of Medicine. The application must be submitted simultaneously with the PASS application and meet the deadline of October 1, 2023. Instructions are provided below.
International Student Eligibility
Applicants Without U.S. Dental Degrees: Will Not be Considered
Eligible Citizenship Types:
- US Citizen, US Permanent Resident
The program will contact the applicant individually to schedule an interview.
How to Submit an Application to Wayne State University School of Medicine
1. Register and obtain an AAMC ID Number
2. Contact the WSU SoM Admissions Office and provide that number (email@example.com)
3. You will be given access and must apply to the Other Special Programs
4. Complete and submit the AMCAS application along with all required transcripts.
5. Associated Cost for the application is $170.00
You must register with the AAMC to obtain a username and password before starting the AMCAS
application process. If you previously registered or applied for AAMC programs, including the MCAT
exam, SHPEP, or the Fee Assistance Program, use the same AAMC account username and password.
To register with the AAMC, go to AAMC.org/AMCAS and select the AMCAS Sign In button in the top right
of the AMCAS home page, then select Create AAMC Account. All fields, except those labeled “optional,”
must be completed. AMCAS is not responsible for delays resulting from inaccurate registration
information. Entering false information or creating several AAMC ID numbers may result in an
After you successfully answer the registration questions, the system will prompt you to create a
username and password. Your username must be at least six characters. You’ll also need to select and
answer three security questions. In case you need to reset your password, you will be prompted to
answer your security questions. If you took the MCAT after 1977, AMCAS will locate your MCAT
username and will prompt you for a password. Select Submit to save the information and complete your
AAMC registration. Afterward, you’ll receive a confirmation email to verify your account.
To access any component of AMCAS, you must log in with your AAMC username and password. If you
cannot remember your log-in credentials, simply select the Forgot your username? or Forgot your
password? link, and you’ll be assisted accordingly.
Do not create several AAMC ID numbers by registering a second time because this action may be flagged
as fraudulent and could result in an investigation.
Next Steps after obtaining the AAMC ID number:
1. Contact the Wayne State University School of Medicine (WSU SoM) Office of Admissions and
provide the AAMC ID number.
2. WSU SoM will provide you access to the Other Special Program (OSP)
3. Complete the remainder of the AMCAS application following these instructions as well as the
Accessing the Application
You may access the AMCAS application log-in button by visiting aamc.org/amcas
Overview of the Application
The Main Menu screen contains four main tiles (pictured below) and is a central hub for navigating
through the application.
Available from any section of the application, this drop-down button allows you to access your
AAMC account and sign out from the AMCAS application. Top Right
● On the left side, this bar identifies the current application year.
● On the right side, the My Application drop-down menu allows you to select any section of the
● The upper left-hand tile displays your personal information, including your legal name, AAMC ID,
and contact information.
● The upper right-hand tile displays your application status and information, including the section
names on the left side, and the status of those respective sections (either Completed or
o A status of Incomplete indicates that additional information is required.
o A status of Complete indicates that you have completed all fields required by the system,
but it does not indicate that you have met all the requirements of the application process.
For example, the Coursework section will be marked Complete if you have entered data
in all the fields marked with a red asterisk (*); however, you may not have entered all
required grades and credits for the coursework you entered.
● In the same tile you’ll also be able to generate Transcript Request Forms and Letter
Request Forms and print the entire application.
● The lower left-hand tile contains helpful links for your reference during your application process.
● The final tile, in the lower right-hand side, displays the status of your transcripts and
letters of evaluation.
● Use these buttons to submit or withdraw your AMCAS application.
Complete the Application
Use the instructions found on the AAMC.org/AMCAS website. The information for the 2021 link is:
Sections to be completed:
1. Identifying Information
2. Schools Attended
3. Biographic Information
4. Coursework: You must submit transcripts
6. Medical School - Select Wayne State University Other Special Program
7. Essays: Please write why you are pursuing the OMFS residency
8. Certification and Submission
Next Steps after Submission
Monitor the status of the application to ensure that transcripts are received and no issues arise.
Steps after the Application is Verified
1. Wayne State University School of Medicine will conduct a preliminary review of the application
for any “red flags” (institutional action, misdemeanor, felony, military discharge other than
honorable, or previous medical school matriculation).
2. Request for completion of the secondary application will be sent via email.
3. After completion of the secondary application, your application will be read and a decision
regarding an interview will be made.
1. Information will be provided regarding the interview day format in use during the application